Saturday, December 21, 2013

1995 Road Movie “...had been a happy time.”

I'm continuing into Road Movie...



1995 Road Movie “...had been a happy time.” 




The mocking bird sets down on 
the fallen vase,
the wind quickens-- 
a reddening sky, the weather cools , 
I’m looking for the fish to arrive,

the new briskness of darkening skies
out back here, my studio 
painting outside, the hobo style
listening to jazz on the college station, 
hearing the resignation 

this place brings on, in my voice,
sounds like Schuyler and Ashbery, 
Fairfield and Georges
like that old recording of Pollock,
gone

god, but I love the good old fashioned 
sitting out in the air, 
mucking around for clams, burned 
and red, waiting till things are just right
this second order of reality 






A few beach roses left, 
mostly the red orange hips
the lilies are gone and the trumpet vine
out back, the candle is 
bleached, white 

from a certain red, the little boy in bronze 
amid some sun flowers 
the broken shells 
the rope intertwining 
the vase


“wading into the pink translucence” 
Ah! this is where I should be
the water rippling




These lines from, Road Movie, a continuing long poem I started in 1999. I was going over notes from 1995. I continued into 1997. There are twelve sections to the poem, this selection from the first.











No comments:

Post a Comment