Friday, December 27, 2013

1996 Road Movie Back East

1996  Road Movie  Back East  



The profane world is the subject 
what we can see, and buy, that’s trouble enough,
forgetting that inner space 
although it is obvious 
that it is becoming the only space 

Left, the new West the reaches 
of the Romantic inner distance, 
the debased art, the empty church
everything for sale, 
in the what’s new

next economy, picking through for Poetry, 
“negotiating rapture” I’ve heard it said.
beyond innocent transcendental reach, 
my poem repeats,
original thought

if this was all there was, I’d end the poem here--
in desperation
add glamour to that despair
of never reached reality, the ordered poem 
what Long Island had been.

Looking for new poem, to keep going,
flipping through the fashion magazines, 
having replaced art becoming the art, 
next thing, 


my smallest creation, 
I revel in this, change--
the same bare place, becoming 
transparent eyeball, I am nothing 
I see all, this crystal death

the loneliest air, not less was myself, 
the compass of that sea 
tossed about 
beyond what I can stand,
these are the words that save me

defeat into victory, I go on, I was the world 
in which I walked
I found myself more true, 
more strange, beheld 
her solitary there, 

for there she sang, the innocence
the maidens song, could have 
no ending,
I sing, beyond.
What transcendence? wholly critic

body fluttering,
wholly body
empty sleeves,
constant cry,
the old mother--

what is this spirit?
for it was the spirit 
that we sought--
and knew, content to know 
our element, is of ice, 

a wintry air sighs for me, 
night wind,
shouts for me loudly
Dazzling and tremendous,
how quick, 

now and always, the sunrise 
would kill me, if I could not 
now and always
send it from out, from me
The Sea!

A power
over the sea,
The poem,
a forever cycling power of the mind
over a universe of death

the blank, blocks the new world, 
the poets mind
over death,
it was her voice, 
that made the sky 

acutest, at it's vanishing, 
beauty, Oh, blessed rage 
the order, the maker's rage, for assembly
the scholar of one candle, 
he opens the door, (the reduction fails)

and he feels afraid, 



Thrilled beyond belief, to be alive, 
Greeting the dawn, 
Come with me--, I’m full of it!
Achilles to Crispin, 
into the classic space.

To modern Cartoon, Davy Crockett, 
Raccoon hat, into the hills, 
Hopi way
must, keep up 
the Indian design, 

The flute drifting through crystal space, 
unending, wind of my soul, 
of our souls
walking in beauty
broken pieces

in my eye
the Hopi way
the mystery of that eye
high up in the wood
glinting-

alive
my own-- clearing the space
to see-- choosing sight
keep on with the dream
I’m off--

before the sweeping tide of reality
the politic of resenting
belief, 
against the desert
That oldest self, before an even older god

the aesthetic dignity, a covering angel
of the terrible beauty
NECESSITY
I stopped, once--
twice, the bird

I saw an eternity
in both 
stops
in the music, that eye, 
the bird, I thought  it watched, me--

cocked its head.
I trying to understand? it flew 
through the stream of sun
paint flooding through, 
a rhythm of mantra

revolving.
Woven varied design, blown apart,
the center will not hold,
over again, never quite right,
shards of Indian way,

each year it was harder to make the painting 
that would lift one out of despair, 





on to the es--Studio! there the work
of the WORLD, to be done, 
set beside EARTH 
--to keep ones feet planted 
within the place, revolved, 

YES, telling some story!
yet unclear. the Indian (ME) 
native to us all, American, 
Beauty in the face of death, 
night and day, 

revolving a mantra
the colors, the shapes, and line
the different shapes these fragments 
thoughts come in relation
perspective, context, changing

light
--now, swerve
the hero reaching, from inside, 
sight on distance
coming together, crashing loud, 

sound and push





There is much cynicism in these pages. The poetic what some think of as Academic to me Sacred— meaning well formed thoughts and poetry, is reached for.

That reach is justified by the pessimistic attitude of the fallen art world to commercial interest.

It is an unseen irony of my art. Reaching out from a world that had become fallen to disorder.








No comments:

Post a Comment