Friday, December 27, 2013

1997 Brooken Beauty Marching onward

1997 Brooken Beauty  Marching onward




headed for the Bridge
He felt insane telling them, 
what he said was “he needed a drink--”
walking the boulevard, Layfayette-- Walt
touched by the great man, a beggar sought--

The rabbit hole in green hills, windy woods
of a home, a beginning for a journey
stepping around trash, 
discards-- a coffee cup rolling— driven
stepping aside to let the cars pass

The Bridge ahead, I drove myself too far
beyond a rationale of behavior, a mess
too much money thrown to no avail,
Is insanity breeding the edge, 
not what is claimed

except, this pain, writing on
stumbling from the curb 
speeds a depth
that propels a memory forward to a desire
of that whole, 

grasped and a future
One, One!
in thought
and ideal- what a God was, 
a universal--

release from this pain, or rehearsed guilt
habit of mind, collapsing
into SOLIPSISTIC action, 
out of gear, 
out of control 

lack of self control
my beloved freedom, of IDEAL!
someone else’s ballon from b-day party
careening through the streets 
in greasy coat 

Yes, I’ve been here before, 
scary thoughts, not able to retreat, 
restore the order
sit in the sun, the earth revolving, hoping to jump 
on once again, 








armed with poetry 
the fragments
I feel I can leave, 
I have enough of myself, 
gathered to me

of Heroic epic character, the blue man
planting sunflowers, Johnny Appleseed
limping, limping
wounded, keeping on
bolstering dream

Florida god, swimming the emerald sea, 
the oats blowing gold
Louisiana adventure, 
Texas familiarity and Blue Bonnet
on through,

Indian’s design and there the
Nevada distance 
the grand emptying of thought, 
California then, Eden, 
this earth, 

I saw the butterflies all 
revolved in painted order
and--- 
still to pack the boxes
the books again--off to the store to sell 

something still to propel a dream
Oh, I cried in sadness
of failure of-- 
I can’t say it-- maybe I’m just
wrong, got it all backwards?

This love of lagoon space
and The Sea 
presenting circles, 
surrounding  black 
paint swoosh, 

recognizing, bird height --
flutter, and swoop
evening light, scattering 
of yellow and blue
stripe, 

the leaves
all through the seasons
West Across America








the variety of

the weather’s thought--
Pulling in after dark, to Florida palms
the headlights searching, falling asleep to
crickets and frogs, raccoons in shadows 
eyes lit, wandering through

full moon in pines, balm and humidity, tossed 
into deepest night
the next morning, I’m reorganizing the car, 
the mind, 
getting out the paints 

catching a glimpse,
I hear a cheep-cheep, like in Long Island 
and with my binoculars go-- 
It is! Yes, an Osprey on a dead branch tearing 
a fish between its claws, a silhouette, the emerald water

above another reeling, cheep-
cheep, cheep
in green gray haze of parting morning clouds
the humid breeze billowing
red bird-- rudy, rudy






the Louisiana road, crossing bayou
I wanted to make another painting 
but the fog and pouring rain were very Louisiana,
as I drove through the narrow corridors of southern pine
and mangrove swamp,

into the gulf’s low mixing clouds 
and finally out into
the clear Texas space 
clouds clearing to reveal 
wild flower lined roads, bluebells and birds, birds

Austin birds and hills
scissor--tailed flycatcher and paintbrush flowers
and speeding, into the Sun
the west, zipping along, had to stop and paint 
such a scene-- mesa like western hill 

spotted sky and lupine in wind
A hurried painting, but I was here! 
A bucket of flowers up on the dash 
I am absorbed into all this
So dazzled, I’m--






hours and hours

and miles across Texas
the rusting windmill 
the sun behind in the west
black and bluish--
I remember, that sound

the cry of the peacocks
the dance in the sunset
of bird silhouette, breaking shapes--
I’ve been looking out for the comet,
something I’ve never seen 

and There!







I crawl into the back 
of the wagon, swathed in down, 
I pull up the designs of
my protecting Indian blanket, 

Pulling over my head, moving slightly 
in the chill, to glimpse 
the comet , 
still out there--
its tail shortening 

in perspective, 
by it’s turn to deeper space
a happening, 
which turns the story
looking for those moments, strung along

Life on the Road, this anxiety within me or
out there, why can I find no 
connection, the mirror and lamp
the end of sacred space
sold as commercial, the blocks of 

more, more








Road Song, 
this is the splendor of beauty
I wish to die into, 
to be part of 
my thoughts melt, 

the paradise of moments cherished 
here, quiet long, slow 
here, sun spilling out 
here, the cold evaporating
as the orb mounts the sky, 

I’m on my way
coffee in hand, steam fogging windshield,
in the cold wind 
blowing past the needle point 
of light growing

up in elevation to pines, 
stopping to relieve myself 
behind some juniper 
the wild wind blowing--- peeing 
on my self with glee








lost in distances

wheeling
in the still blue-- white feathered sky
land changing to rocky desert
acacia flare, yellow
adjusted to green-gray sage

spring green verdure
a place of my own out here
to have these paintings 
my life surrounding me
poems

and the space turned 
inside out
a hall of mirrors reflecting 
endlessly
the soul meeting the 

blank sky
Chinese mountains 
water falls over rocks 
and flowers 
another’s imagination 

projecting 
through the days and spaces 
of figures doing 
Shiva dance, doing that,
the rhythm, the unknown 

painter in Punjab hills 
painting my soul, eternally 
repeating arms 
the days bring the world into being, 
and gone, day and night

the comet speeding through, 










This was the first Southern Trip I would repeat may times in going to New Mexico each spring.

There is a certain coherence for once but still punctuated with despair in the out of synch feeling with the culture one encountered which had become the Western Road of gas stations and hotels, convenience stores.




No comments:

Post a Comment