Friday, December 20, 2013

#9, 1992, The Villa of the Sun

#9, 1992, The Villa of the Sun



Crossing the Susquehanna, 
the Blue Mountains, ahead-- 
feeling my way, 
a rainy South greets me 
as the Sun is shining yonder, 
in Mississippi arriving at the Gulf, 
a bushel of peaches 
a bag of blueberries, 
an aqua, emeralded
sea, beyond
white sands squeaking
warm, friendly, lapping waves.

17.
Oh! green, green 
wave folding over 
into a gurgling surge, enveloping, 




Driving back to camp 
high in mountains, roadways
nearing the tops of pines--
a Western Tanager, unconcerned, 
flashes in the waning sun,
snagging a fly... 
a merging of Imagination
and things as they are--
tired, making a way to camp.
Trying to figure, the pines in shadows,
dancing in the fire’s light, 
amongst icy cold frightening stars, 
curling down and away 
inside a down bag, retaining a warmth.



“Adventures and Wonder”--
scrawled on my paint box, enthralled!


A turn towards Montana
brings a surprisingly early snow
propelling me on my way.
A big sky, cold with 
low grey ceiling of clouds, 
out on a splendidly lonesome road.

Tightening the box of paintings 
to the car’s roof for the trip ahead, 
driving and reading 
about a hurricane about 
to strike Miami, 
it will be in Long Island, 
as I approach home.



Barcelona Neck, these symbols, 
evaporating in a whirl 
of rope, pots, flowers burnt in the sun 
swallowed up into the sky
a grid appearing, the wall flaking
crumbles, starts to fall--
a fiction composed upon the wall.

25.
From muddled silhouettes 
to comic form,
the black and white depth, 
to Barcelona Neck’s clarity
an old stage is being cleared
objects flowing
their prolific meanings
past, like the same flowers
they change... die
as if, it all was once believed.
(“...but it got us through.”) emptied 
to be filled, once more.



A figure with walking stick, 
greeting the birds, 
appraising space, tipping his hat, 
painting in the sun, 
reading in front of the Sunflowers--




A desire, at this late hour.




I am struck by how fragmented my poem had become. The abstraction of the city and its demands upon me had created a want or need for the spaces I had discovered in the West. This escape was to become my life of the next 10 years. The last section here was more of what was to come, than any real concentration on the Villa imagery-- the faded, cracking, old fresco which I had dreamed would be the what I still dreamed of creating-- The Myth of America.






No comments:

Post a Comment