Saturday, December 28, 2013

1997, Brooken Beauty, California and 1997, Brooken Beauty, Joshua Tree

1997  Brooken Beauty  California

On this abandoned cartoon road 
A prairie chicken, headed south
roadrunner, 
toot-- toot--
Scrambling from reverent pose to road movie genre,

Well, looking for a place to camp, 
arriving to suburban 
party of water toys, they’re packing up jet skis
from the week end days spent--
zooming--in and around

Uneasy, I look around and notice in the orange grove 
a small tiny black shape.
Some how catches my attention, through the noise 
and general theme park scene-- 
then a flash! 

of red as it turned, a flag-- a tanager?
no, a brighter fire-lit orange
smaller shape, 
a vermilion, yes-- !
A Vermilion Flycatcher!

A mascot for this new experience of Colorado River
desert water world, WoW, 
I’d seen many pictures of this amazing
little bird, unreal to me till now, 
I clicked my tongue 

As it flew up, 
and still in mid air
A display of defense or just showing off !
At the end of the day’s sun bouncing 
from it’s breast,
amazed, something truly happened!





1997  Brooken Beauty  Joshua Tree


I’m out there painting anyway
Arms thrown up in ecstasy, a Heretic
Twirling, in the space of my NEW religion 
One, one, one--
Out painting, as the Hero, in the Sun
Stars
We’ve left the earth for second 
order Culture, Madonna God
tired of the endless silence, 

the blank stare of the sky.
But I got out of the car!
could see everything 
and its relationship with the other, 
walked up the hill

the rock, sand, wisp of grass
the bush to bush
the lizard here
to there
Bird call in the wind --

I spot it over there!
the lizard scurries 
to there
through there
t  t   t    tracks of a tortoise

sun going down
sun coming up



Everlasting beauty
I’m stretching canvas, cleaning up the Ranger Station
making a camp, figured out the water, 
made two paintings today
A ga-- at every thing, then, one in the evening.

Painted the clouds, and then today they’re gone 
I never saw them again in a whole months time
pitched the tent and made a fire 
painted the sunset
thinking of that desert tortoise as I drift off,





the sun and the landscape, all revolving
that range to the east in shadow

then better at evening with 
long lines across the canyon 
the yucca and cactus bloom 
already dark in shadow 
by 3 PM shadows moving fast 

across the valley, new wild flowers 
arrive daily, I take note with paintings, 
A Scott’s Oriole singing 
from the top of a Joshua Tree flies--looping
from bloom to bloom, yucca flowers. 

A chain-link snake slithers at my foot,
 in an ‘s’s’ curve 
between bushes, disappearing -- but there, 
I can see it’s whereabouts-- as I finished another painting
and now dumbly staring in exhaustion 

into the fire.





There! the god was
the bird, stopped
the shield 

brought forward
dreaming to ideal
form
stop
oneness

with the world
clap of hands
bang!
ther-e 
the god is!

the Mormons 
I read, saw the trees 
like Joshua leading 
them on to the Promised Land
nature presenting 

experience rejuvenating Art, 





I take the abstraction of the cycle 
and add it back to representation, 
making a larger modern nature, 
fantastic in large color form and 
elegant line

putting the content 
back upon that great abstraction
cycling, mythos
the sun comes up
the sun goes down

the hero 
still arriving, 
again and again 
each day from the East arriving
from dream 

the morning light
the mock epic
pop pilgrim
art flashing
at every end, 

a beginning
flashing
before our eyes
all the cycles






These two sections have been one and I will probably put them back together.

In Joshua Tree I spent enough time for the actual naturalism of the place to grow to a metaphoric level and the symbol world I am after. The figure then represents this all. Then all is metaphoric of this created whole world.

The anxiety and the encroaching, “pressure of reality,” here is less in these passages, and the paintings unfold on their own among this plenitude.













No comments:

Post a Comment