Sunday, December 29, 2013

1997, Brooken Beauty, Santa Barbara

1997  Brooken Beauty  Santa Barbara  






already in memory
the desert showy skies,
decorating blue in mountain distance, 
ringing crumbling rock
into foreground of sand,

silhouette of Joshua trees
waving towards promise--
land brought forward
by desert flower
cactus bloom

standing, painting, 
in all this space
integrity of every object, 
at one 
with the order of, 

the poem
comet whizzing, into the stars
I twirl with all







I’m nearing a place 
I feel as home but escaping my grasp, 
the familiar off ramp, 

then winding 
up into hills of homes tucked in here and there.
Up and around the winding road and a final curve 
and here feeling safe, 
high above the sea looking out 

every one is sleeping, the sleeping town below
the moist cool into darkness drift--
the road ending
and I wake to the busy growing town 
into city

suburban city of busy people 
busy with what ever 
they have gotten busy with, 
of what had seemed such 
a special place, my dream

vines and plants of every variety growing in this 
crowded paradise, 
I hear birds all over but can’t see 
them, people in every nook 
and cranny tucked away

I think of the lone hills, the breeze, 
a rustling grass







the sun sopping up the fog
then a breeze makes a clearing 
days merge into the next
I feel like a intruder 

here all dressed in black
I make way to the lagoon a penitent like
outcast, my cross of anxiety
describing beauty, the stations of the journey
like that snake that crossed my path 

I’m still writing of it, 
black and white rings, 
I saw it again at night 
on the ocean cliff
it slithered across the way making its way 

to the grass, waves crashing
sunset walk into the trees
so picturesque
and menacing
I’m caught between







Highway 101, as I remember it, 
unclouded, zipping free--
my coffee steaming, 
winding through Saint Julian

Ranch, hills of gold and green, 
fog making frame
for what’s ahead, 
there’s Hank and Michael 
asleep in the car ahead, 

hair in a morning  mess and-- 
Well lets go! 
it’s still only 6:30 a.m., 
off to Jalama, off beyond the gate
onto the sandy road, 

green hill against aqua ocean
blue and swerve of coast 
changing my mood
the chewing bulls, their vacant stare
mouths full nod, we stop 

and make insulting 
comments to the big bruisers, 
the car tilts up and angles 
over road ruts , this is the way 
it should be

what I search for, 
waves peeling off unseen
naked scene, private glory 
to match one’s soul
looping around the point and climbing 

to Conception, through ice plant 
and drifting sand, 
the fog parting and sun 
exposing the rich color of blues, greens
 in endless variation 

of ocean depth,
 foliage’s entangling 
blown to wild frenzy
ocean surge and whales breaching rhythm, 
the smaller point 

way below, the speck of black 
one realizes are seals 
in the extreme space, 
we are now enveloped into flowing 

along with the effortless 
flight of pelicans
in updraft
the wealth of space
and there, over there, 

see dolphins! wriggling into deep 
This is all beyond the capacity to remember
to remember, to tell!
O describe this
amazement

Springboard of spirit! 
red aloe to cerulean sky
and day lit moon rocking
the low horn, seal bark drifting
swept by wind, what is art to this --

adventure, 
worn out by goings over
into abstract shape, 
that different adventure 
in the studio, 

out there,
 I sip 
and could die
the painting, the refusal to die 
packing up wiping 

the turpentine stained hands, 
exhausted, 
fulfilled
the painting tossed 
into the back of the van








my black and white 
ruined world 
hurled at you, 
I’m the Witch, the fairy Witch
Raven, hovering 

over the red flower.
Accomplice to the killers, 
of the red bird 
bright headed bird





the confused world, my poem 
becomes, 
I verve off 
into, the constant cynicism 
breeding unhealthy power

surge of selfish want 
to stuff the hole, blown out
the missing figure, the flown bird
self lost, gone again.
Then, in effort to preserve that naiveté 

and
humility--
not to disturb the baby bird
flowing to and fro, on the palm frond
now hatching-- 

now flying to the sky!
Take away the outline, the captured figure
for culture and idea, 
release and free to the
beauty of nature, 




It is interesting to see my anger at returning to what has become Suburban life. I did not include much of this as it is mostly rant and does not hold up. I had begun my infatuation of wild place here in Santa Barbara as in Long Island, both having succumbed to the domesticated side. NYC was still an intellectual refuge from this Ambivalence.








No comments:

Post a Comment