Thursday, December 12, 2013

towards a selected Poems. #1, 1984 Achilles / Tent

I wondered if I might end up with a collected poems or a book of extracts from my long poems.

#1. 1984 Achilles / Tent

from the book, clouds, leaves, waves. 1996




Greek pots like nuclear shapes
the earth a broken vessel,
tossing the shards,
a pessimism growing
beyond good and evil, 
our hearts--
are of this darkness.

Striding the beach...
peeling back the canvas, 
entering the tent, falling to tripod,
exhausted downward weight-- 
“the wrong doing of Agamemnon!” 
black eyes melt the wall,
sinking-- Achilles tumbling,
gasping at round about horrors.

a thought of --Thetis! Arriving, 
a hand to his head
and release, to peaks of tent--
universe and stars, shining.




This is from the beginning of clouds, leaves, waves., a poem from 1996. The reference is from the Iliad I was reading back then, but I have never been able to find the exact part this refers to. I suppose I dreamed it in this changed version. It is all going downward and the Thetis touch to the head releases, it to the peaking.






No comments:

Post a Comment